Use Your Words| Part 2 of 3


(This post is the second in a three-part series. Click the link to read part one and part three.)

I worked as a youth leader in rural Pennsylvania for a couple of years after college graduation, and I heard kids using the word “awesome” to describe everything from a sandwich being eaten to a concert they’d been to. “This is awesome!” “That was awesome!”

I did it too, but the more I thought about it, the more uncomfortable I became. Awesome? A sunset over the mountains is awesome. An eagle soaring to its nest in the high trees is awesome. God is awesome. But a sandwich or a concert? I knew what the kids meant, but I resolved to reserve “awesome” for truly spectacular things. It's the first time I remember thinking so carefully about the theological implications of my language use.

My oldest son took a school course a few years ago that gave monetary value to various words. Descriptive ones like “kind-hearted” or “generous” were considered more valuable (and better choices for his writing) than “good.” I like this concept that more robust words carry more weight, and it quickly carries me to our rich, biblical vocabulary. Are we using it?

"You're such a good girl!" It's easy for me to slip in my speech and tell my daughter she's good when she listens and obeys me, but the Bible clearly says that no one is good except for God. (Psalm 14:1, Mark 10:18 and Romans 3:10-12) Not only are my words theologically inaccurate when I do this, but we've all been given a rich biblical vocabulary to engage our children. Instead of talking about being good and bad people, we get to explain righteousness, godliness, honesty and integrity.

If you’re like me, you don’t just want nice children. We want humble, kind, gentle, truthful, wise, hard-working, patient, compassionate, and holy children. Each of these words invites us to open the Bible and consider its meaning in context. Each word offers a rich conversation with our kids.

We’ve been given so many words! We have God’s word and Jesus who is the word made flesh. Let’s strive to make use of our wide biblical vocabulary and to speak with theological accuracy in a way that points our children to Jesus, communicates life and truth, builds up and encourages, gives wisdom and support, and expresses love to our families and communities in enriching ways.


For more about Katie's book, Loving My Childrenclick here
Email Katie at lovingmychildrenbook@gmail.com.