You Follow Me


Our family’s been chipping away at the book of John together over breakfast. We read a few verses one day and maybe a chapter the next in between mouthfuls of oatmeal. Inevitably we’re distracted by Lovebug in her high chair as she plays games or interrupts with,

“I all done, Mommy!”
“I love you, Mommy!”
“Wipe my hands!”
“Jesus loves me.”

We all giggle. I remind her that it’s time to listen and that I’ll get her out as soon as we finish reading. I make eye contact with her older brothers, “Turn your bodies. She will learn by watching you.”

Back to the story:

“When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, ‘Lord, what about this man?’ Jesus said to him, ‘If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!’” (John 21:21-22)

It’s the last chapter, and Peter’s taking a walk with Jesus. And there it is. Right in the Word.

What about him? What’s his story? What’s hers? Look what she’s doing or he’s got.

And as quickly as my older children shift their attention to what their cute baby sister in her high chair is doing or saying, our eyes turn and look at the lives of our friends, neighbors, and co-workers.

Curiosity turns to comparison, and we forget what we were doing or why. We feel like we aren’t doing enough or wonder if we should be doing something different. We’re plagued by false guilt, second guesses, jealousy, greed, and discontentment. Questions follow.

Why is she married and I’m single?

Why do they already have three children when we’ve been trying so long and our arms are still empty?

How can she juggle a successful career and a family and make it all look so easy?

Will I ever have grandchildren?

Why is our budget always tight when we work so hard, and they’re always going on vacation?

Just like he did to Peter, Jesus interrupts our questions and thoughts with a clear, unmistakable,

“You follow me!”

At the end of the day, what is it to us how God directs the course of another person’s life? Are we following Jesus? Do we love him? Do we trust him? Will we walk faithfully on the path he sets before us and do what he asks us to do?

Your story is unique. So is mine. So is each of our children’s. Let’s celebrate God’s grace in all of them but keep our ears open to his voice, living to please him alone.

We close the Bible, and I wipe Lovebug’s hands. I look around the kitchen table, and I’m so grateful I get to do life this way with my people…and for all the stories God is writing.

Read more of Katie's words at Loving My Children on Facebook and at https://www.instagram.com/katietfarisTo learn more about her book, Loving My Childrenclick hereEmail Katie at lovingmychildrenbook@gmail.com.