A Well-Stocked Cupboard


My children make themselves right at home at my parents’ house. Even the baby climbs the front steps, pushes open the door, calls their names, and runs with eager, outstretched arms--completely expecting to be scooped up into a big hug.

Each one knows where to hide shoes and hang up coats. They find dress-up clothes, books, and toys saved from my childhood just as they left them after their previous visit. And they know where my mom keeps all the “winks and nacks” (drinks and snacks).

“Hmmm,” Lovebug says, surveying all her options as my mom snaps this photo.

I wouldn’t walk into just anyone’s house and fling open the cupboard door, and I certainly wouldn’t want my children to do this. But it’s different because it’s my parents’ house.

And while I’m grateful for a cupboard thoughtfully stocked with kid staples like cereal, crackers, hot chocolate, and juice boxes, it reminds me of a different kind of food in a different pantry.

“Man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD” (Deuteronomy 8:3), and our hungry souls need to be satisfied even more than our stomachs.

I look at the picture and wonder—do we as believers feel the same freedom to run into our heavenly Father’s presence? To confess our sins, shed our burdens, and enjoy being close to him? When we do, we find everything we truly need.

Listen to these words from 2 Peter:

“May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises” (vv. 1-4).

Through Jesus, we have grace and peace, everything we need for godly living, and God’s precious and very great promises. This cupboard is always stocked and its contents are always available to us.

This is good news to parents and children alike.