WATER WEDNESDAY



"Water Wednesday!" My sister-in-law smiled as she gave me this valuable piece of advice. She'd just given me a prayer plant as a birthday present, and she read my skepticism as I thanked her. This luscious green plant with its coiling leaves, researched and ordered from Amazon, looked up at me pitifully as if it also knew my past record with plants.

It was Wednesday, and she assured me that this hearty plant only needs to be watered once a week. So week after week, usually on Wednesday--but sometimes on Tuesday or Thursday--I water my prayer plant and pray. I watch its leaves curl and uncurl, like hands folding and unfolding, and pray for the people I love. Wonder of wonders, it’s been a few months and my plant is actually growing. 

One of my prayer requests for my children in June was, “Lord, could you make a way for my kids to have some swim days this summer?” We don’t belong to a neighborhood pool, and friends have always been generous in opening their pools to us, but I didn’t have a plan this time. Wouldn’t you know, not soon after, a friend reached out and invited us to swim.

And yes, we swim each Wednesday. So as we splash (or my kids splash as I watch), I’m reminded that God hears all the desires of our hearts and every single prayer. Water Wednesday—water the plants, water those prayers, and see how God makes things grow.

“…pray without ceasing…” (1 Thess. 5:17)


For more about Katie's book, Loving My Childrenclick here
Email Katie at lovingmychildrenbook@gmail.com.