I Get to Wake up Early



Neither the stars nor moon shine but the sun has yet to show its face. It’s dusky dawn, between night and day. Clouds cover the sky as I slip out of my covers and pass the broad drapes dressing our bedroom windows, reminders of the previous home owners. As quietly as possible, I pass the pack-‘n-play where our toddler sleeps and a sleeping bag holds our six-year-old daughter, stretched out over the reclined rocking chair. With temperatures higher than a hundred, we shared our space and our window air conditioner to keep cool last night.

Now downstairs in the kitchen, the tea kettle whistles as the neighbor’s air conditioner hums and the songbirds, glorious songbirds, warble praise for a new day. My heart, too, slowly stirs as I stir sugar into my tea and take a sip, then slip again, this time through the heavy front door—with all three locks keeping out the world—and onto our front porch. I light a candle, and that’s my light as I open God’s Word, the lamp to my path.

As I read, my thoughts and prayers mingle with images of people and anticipation of unfolding events. Words in my head meet the words on the page and I think about words I will say and write and I wonder, how do I infuse them with love today? For I read, “Let all that you do be done in love” (1 Cor. 16:14).

Love for God and neighbor-love, do it all in love. Let love cleanse and motivate. Not just any kind of love, either, but Paul always means gospel love, love born out of God’s sacrificial love for us. Paul is all about the Lord Jesus, evidenced by four references to him in the last three verses of this letter.

In some seasons, I’ve woken early but risen late. With a newborn, I’ve woken many times through the night and then stayed in bed to catch as much sleep as I could to carry out the necessary work of the day. It makes me all the more grateful for grace to rise early today.

“It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep” (Ps. 127:2). How kind of God to speak this way! He cares about our sleep, and he stays awake working while we sleep, easing our anxiety.[1] I don’t wake early to work anxiously, but I wake because he rouses me and I get to meet with him before the onslaught of responsibilities greets me.

I think of the woman in Proverbs 31 who “rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household…” (Prov. 31:15). The Lord feeds me early, so I can both literally and spiritually feed my children what they need for the day.

It’s the how and why and when and who, especially who—regarding rising early. How? By God’s grace and with an eager heart. Why? To be fed and strengthened. When? In season, and as he allows and enables. Who? With and for God, to love him and better love others.

There’s no condemnation; this is a “get-to.” I get to wake up early, and I discover how much good it does me, and how that goodness overflows. And like other rhythms return after bearing children, this rhythm and routine of rising early regulates me in a healthy way for the new things God wants to do.

New mercies, new mornings, great is his faithfulness:

“The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.”
-Lam. 3:22-23

For more about Katie's book, Loving My Childrenclick here
Email Katie at lovingmychildrenbook@gmail.com.


[1] Ps. 121:3-4