Choosing to Smile




My mom tells the story that when I was born at dawn, the doctor marveled because…I smiled.

This is interesting because she tells a second story, from before I was school age, about me telling her I decided to smile more. She and my dad both remember a change that took place.

All I remember are my parents’ stories, with a few bits and pieces of my own, and when I fit the puzzle together, maybe it explains why I still have to remind myself to smile.

Under my dust-skin, I wish things as simple as smiling came more naturally to me. But I realize that joy is supernatural, a truly Spirit-thing, and I lean on my Savior even for this.

So I ask him to infuse me with grace to step back, see, savor, and smile—especially at my children. I catch my baby daughter’s eyes, and slowly, widely, smile. She catches it from her high chair, and the corners of her mouth twitch and her eyes start to sparkle as she realizes I’m smiling at her. Then she beams one back at me.

Before I place my hands in the soapy sink and scrape crusty oatmeal off a breakfast bowl, I glance at each of my people. I pause, letting the joy soak through my pores, and smile.

Smiling seems like a small thing, but even this is a matter of our hearts. Our children read our faces and what they reveal about what's under the surface. They watch and see those moments that many others miss. 

We're so easily distracted by our worries, plans, relationships, and phone notifications. But glancing up, looking eye-to-eye at our children, and smiling at them is a beautiful way to affirm them. We love and value them. They're more important than anything else in our lives besides Jesus and our spouse. Smiling is one of the simplest ways to show them. 

Believe it or not, this is also a demonstration of the kind of love that older moms are supposed to be teaching younger moms as described in Titus 2. This love is active, affectionate, interested, and engaged. It gives kisses and smiles

*Have you ever thought about this before? 
*What facial expressions do your family most often see? 
*Be sure to SMILE at a child today--your own, a niece or nephew, a neighbor, or even a child riding in a grocery cart at the store. 


For more about Katie's book, Loving My Childrenclick here
Email Katie at lovingmychildrenbook@gmail.com.