MOMMY’S CRIB



Sometime after midnight I rouse. Through our closed bedroom door and over the hum of the fan I hear our baby’s cry, “Mommy’s crib!”

As she still learns to put words together, I interpret her meaning. She wants to get out of her crib and climb into bed with me.

In mommy motion, I whisk off my sheets, round the bend of the bed, and make a beeline to pick her up before she wakes her sleeping sister. As I whisper reassurances in her ear, “Mommy’s here. Shhh, it’s alright,” I seek to relieve her fears, maintain sleep in our home, and assess the situation. Is she feverish? Did she have a bad dream?

She burrows her head under my chin and clings to me. I think she would climb back inside of me if she could. In the day, she delights to explore, play hide-and-seek with her brothers, and be Miss Independent doing everything by herself. I try to hand her to my husband, but as much as she adores him in the day, in the middle of the night she only wants me.

I sigh, sleepless, and remember.

I’m her refuge, safe place, fortress, and shield. I cover her and protect her. Fear dissipates, and she relaxes and rests with me.

This is one of the many ways that parents wordlessly communicate the gospel to their children:

When we cry out for help, there’s one who runs to us.

He answers and rescues us from our fears.

We’re safe with him.

Nothing can separate us from his love.

As our children grow up, we put words to what we’ve already been living. We deflect the attention from ourselves and point to God. We tell our kids that even though we don’t always know the answer and can’t always help them, there’s one who can. Even when we fail them, there’s a perfect heavenly Father who will never leave them or forsake them. There’s a sinless Savior.

And one day, he promises to take us to his “heavenly crib”--using my daughter’s vernacular--where we’ll be with him, forever safe and forever home.

For more about Katie's book, Loving My Childrenclick here
Email Katie at lovingmychildrenbook@gmail.com.