LORD OVER THE FLIES


“Stop! Stop!” I yelled, but only my attacker could hear me, and with a growing, glowing gleam in his eyes, he ignored my cries. Despite my plea, he kept at it. As no one responded to my screams, I felt silenced and powerless to resist. I don’t know who he was or where we were, but I woke up and realized it was 4:40 a.m.

I rolled over to recover, resting next to my husband. After ten minutes, I knew it was pointless and I might as well creep downstairs and use those morning hours, the sleeping hours, to write before my trail of children would appear.

Entering the kitchen, I saw them. Bigger than average house flies, with beady red eyes shining on the sides of their finely crafted heads, they rested their articulated legs on my window pane and hid in the lamp, wings ready to fly in first response. I counted at least three. Make it four if you add the one lying dead on the bathroom floor I passed on my way downstairs. Who knew how many more we’d encounter that day?

Two thoughts sprouted in my still un-caffeinated brain. First, this was like those plagues in Egypt. Next, I saw images of my six-year-old daughter, the one who’s dramatically undone over an insect of any kind, running through the house hysterically because there’s a beady-eyed fly inhabiting her bedroom. This led to images of the entire day collapsing around me. The two-year-old wouldn’t nap because of a fly in her bedroom, and that’s my sad but often true definition of catastrophe.

One thing I brought back from my years of teaching in China was a deep commitment to afternoon rest time. If the Chinese take naps, and the Spanish enjoy a siesta, why shouldn’t we Americans? I will do almost anything to make rest time happen in our house.

I left the flies in the kitchen and knelt by the couch in the living room. My caffeinated beverage of choice, British tea complete with cream and sugar, rested on the table nearby as I gave the day to the Lord, a day that really he’d given me. I heard a rustling sound, and seconds later the unmistakable odor of skunk overpowered the downstairs of our house.

My dream was enough to wake and shake me. The flies unnerved and irritated me. The skunk? Where could I go? Where could I hide?

Whenever things come in threes, I pay attention. Holy, holy, holy. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Jonah in the fish for three days, Jesus in the grave for three days, Peter denied three times, Peter reinstated three times—there’s a pattern.

My triad followed me through the day. I didn’t seek to understand or totally unpack it, but I saw it and wondered at it, and I told three people about it. I persevered in writing and submitting an article to a publisher that would’ve been so easy to give up on. If the dream was about my voice and there’s any resistance in the shadows to me using my voice, God please protect me and help me to keep writing.

Tonight, I sat with my daughters in their room like I usually do, and I read from their story Bible about God sending Adam and Eve out of Eden with the promise of one day undoing the evil of sin. After their tiny voices echoed my prayers and I kissed the tops of their damp, freshly-shampooed heads, I glanced in the corner where the two pale pink walls meet and I saw something remarkable.

One of those frightful flies was dead, wrapped tightly in the whispery web of a spider who was an eighth of its size. I had feared that fly invading my daughter’s room and undoing my day, and here he was, trapped by a faithful spider who, like the fish that caught Jonah, was simply doing his duty.

I wrapped up both the spider and the dead fly in a baby wipe when the girls weren’t paying attention and thought, my God is truly Lord over the flies.


For more about Katie's book, Loving My Childrenclick here
Email Katie at lovingmychildrenbook@gmail.com.