Cast Your Cares Because He Cares


“…casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” 
-1 Peter 5:7

God is bigger, and God is greater. He is powerful to protect and keep, and he is able to do immeasurably more than I can ask or imagine. He reaches places I can’t reach, and he sees what I can’t see, behind doors and into hearts and minds. He loves farther and he grieves deeper than I do. He stays awake and keeps being God when my restless self falls asleep.

These truths are my comfort when the weight of this world lands heavily on me, whether it’s the burden of my own anxieties or the cares of those I love. Sometimes the storm rages within me and sometimes it rages around me, and sometimes it’s both. I’m impacted and the heaviness settles…in my heart and on my shoulders.

As I lie in bed, my thoughts drift and I feel depleted, empty. Too tired to be articulate or pray anything lengthy, I begin to cast my cares on Jesus, one at a time, simply and specifically.

I imagine a vast expanse of water in front of me, without limits and without end. It is infinite and infinitely beautiful, not in a trite or contrived way, but truly full and full of beauty, the pure kind.

I stand on the edge, looking out and looking in, and I can only see so far but it goes farther. It stretches farther and deeper and broader and wider, vast and uncontained. Unfathomable.

My heart is heavy with anxieties that take the form of stones. These stones slow the blood flow to my veins. They impact my clarity of thought. Even my feet are slow, dragging because of the extra pounds.

In that place, leaning and looking, I hear a voice call to me, call to you, call to anyone who comes to the edge of that sea of mercy. It invites the sojourner to cast his stones of anxiety, his cares, into the depths of that clean, uncontaminated water and watch them sink below the surface.

Slowly, with great effort, I dig under my skin where it's uncomfortable and hurts, and I pull out the first stone. It takes some effort, a twist and a tug of faith, but it dislodges. Raising my arm, I answer that voice, strengthened by its song, and toss my first stone into the sea.


Then I cast another, and a third, and soon I start skipping my stones across the water creating ripples that spread in wide circles as the stones sink beneath the surface. I cast each person, each situation, the known and the unknown, the past and the future, the stones from within and the ones from without, the ones I’ve absorbed and the ones I’ve created—on him.

My heart is lighter and my mind is clearer and all of a sudden, without the extra weight, I lift my feet and I realize that I could jump if I wanted to. I have cast my cares into the sea of mercy, the waters of God's unfathomable and infinite care for me. I cast my cares because he cares, because these people and situations matter to him, because I matter to him, because he cares for all of us.

His yoke is easy and his burden is light, and I wasn’t meant to carry these cares. I give them to him, one and all. They are his to hold, and I can trust him to keep them and to keep working for the good of those he loves while I drift into sleep.

What cares weigh you down? What is God inviting you to cast on him? Is it a parenting challenge? A health issue? A personal trial? Your child’s struggle? A challenge of someone else you love and care about? Are you burdened by the past, present or future? The impact of choices and decisions?

Whether your cares feel big or small, whether you carry few or many, listen to the invitation. Casting all your anxieties on him.

God invites all of us to come and cast our anxieties on him. We don’t have to hesitate, second-guess, or wonder what he really thinks.

Listen to the reason. Because he cares for you. 

He. Who? God.
He does what? He cares.
For whom? He cares for you.

You are precious to God. The God of the universe who made and sustains all life on this planet loves and cares for you. Whoever you are, you matter to him, and so do your cares and concerns.

I might not know you or your struggle, but I know my own trials and temptations and how desperate I am for wisdom, guidance, help, intervention, grace, mercy, peace and hope. In those times when I’m keenly aware of my limitations and need for help, this invitation to cast my cares because he cares is especially sweet.

I encourage you to insert your people and situations into the words of the following verses and pray them for yourself and your loved ones. Cast each care into the sea of God’s mercy. May the comfort of God’s loving and personal care for you sustain and strengthen you for whatever trial you encounter.

Cast your cares because he cares.

Verses to read and pray:
“…do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7 ESV

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7 ESV


For more information about Katie's book, Loving My Children, click 
here.